Thursday, June 18, 2020

Fixes and Fails - Checking Fluids

When we were in Galveston for the Winter, I decided I should probably check the engine fluids in the RV. Oil and transmission checked out fine, but I could see on the expansion tank that I needed more coolant.

There was this sticker that said it needed a special Nitrate-Free OAT coolant.

I started checking around at local auto-parts stores and most of them were a little ignorant as to what this even was.  After calling around, I finally found an O'Reilly's that said they had it.  A trip over there and bought a gallon of this:
Reading on the back confirmed that it was OAT (Organic Acid Technology)

So, now all I need is to add it to the reservoir. Right?  Not so quick.

The cap is right against a support on the RV and I can't determine how to get the cap off.  I called Thor, they were not helpful. I tried prying, I looked for a way to move it, nothing worked.

I was finally able to get the cap to turn about half a turn, but then it would just stop.  I was at a loss.  I let it sit for a while and came back to it later.  I finally determined that I needed to push it down to continue turning it.  Got it loose!

But, I still couldn't get the cap off.  Thought about trying to fill it like that, but just kept trying and finally stuck a crowbar between the support and the tank and was able to get it loose.

OK, now the problem is that it is so far back, there is no way to actually pour from the jug into it.  I had a funnel that I had bought to help fill the DEF tank (That's a story for another time), it didn't work for that, but after a little sawing, I was able to make it sort of work for this.

I added about 1/2 a gallon and the coolant level has stayed the same since, so I can only guess that they lost some coolant when replacing the transmission cooler at Freightliner and also could not determine how to easily top it off.


No comments:

Post a Comment